Week 8: Quizzizz

Another formative assessment, gamification tool I have used in the last couple weeks in my classroom is called Quizzizz.  It sounds like most of you are familiar with it, but I had never heard of it before going to ASTE.

https://itunes.apple.com/ae/app/quizizz-play-to-learn/id1160249042?mt=8

Quizzizz is a quiz game similar to Kahoot! and Quizlet.  Teachers create an account, but for students it's optional. Students access a quiz on their device or computer using an access code, and they can see both the questions and answers on their screen.

http://nordicadl.com/toolbox/quizizz/

Quizizz can be used as an in-class game or assigned for homework which students to complete on their own. While teachers can create quizzes from scratch, there is also a searchable database with tons of existing quizzes and questions that can be grabbed and edited as needed.  You can even just pick and choose select questions from already created quizzes.  I loved this feature!  When creating their own quizzes, teachers can add images as well as customize the feedback students see after each question on the quiz. Feedback comes in the form of memes (either pre-made or custom), which display based on right or wrong answers.  The kids got a kick out of the memes!


Teachers also can control the use of leaderboards, question timers, and music.  I set up my quizzes as "homework" last week because a majority of our students were traveling for sports, but I also gave the students that were at school the opportunity to complete the quiz in class.  I wanted to keep the gamification aspect of Quizzizz so I chose to keep the leaderboard active.  Students could compete with one another if they wanted to.  The more quickly they respond, the more points they gain.   However, their total points did not matter for their grade in the gradebook.  This was taken from their percentage of correctly answered questions.  One thing I really liked was that teachers can set up their quiz so that their students to take the quiz over again to raise their score and learn the content even more!  I set a limit of three times for my students, but I was surprised at how many of them did not try all three times.


After students have completed the quiz, teachers can easily access reports that make it easy to use quiz results to inform instruction.  You can view reports online by students to see which questions they answered incorrectly or can view students' responses by question. 



The data can also be compiled into an Excel spreadsheet to give the instructor a clear visual of the students’ performance in order to analyze trends in which areas might need the most focus in the future.


In just the few times I have used it with my students, I have really enjoyed Quizzizz.  Most of my students prefer this over the traditional paper and pencil quiz method and I saw improvement in many students grades! Another bonus is that Quizizz integrates flawlessly with Google Classroom.  If you haven't tried it, I would highly recommend this for your next quiz!

Comments

  1. Good blog. I enjoyed your presentation on this. It was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Than you Heather, I too liked your web meeting presentation of what Quizziz is capable of bringing to the classroom. Alas the BB video sharing is a bit wonky but I really believe that the strength of these applications is in the collaborative integrations of Twitter and other popular social media platforms, it accelerates the quality through rapid communication pathways! Quizziz has a robust forum of contributing teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this in my own classroom and I love that you can receive stats for your gradebook and formative assessment. Thanks for highlighting some key fun features

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts